Amy Dobson - North East Regional Winner
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
For the Bobotie:
250g lamb mince
75g wholemeal bread slices
75g onion, peeled and finely chopped
10ml curry powder
5ml lemon juice
30ml apricot jam
8 bay leaves
2 free range eggs, lightly beaten
8g slivered almonds
Pinch of pepper
For the Accompaniment:
75g broccoli, cut into pieces or florets
- Preheat oven to 180°C, Gas Mark 4
- Soak the bread in 50ml milk.
- Sauté the onion in a large pan with the oil.
- Combine the mince, onion, bread, sugar, curry powder, chutney, raisins, lemon juice, apricot jam and mix together in a bowl. Combine with half the egg mixture.
- Place the mixture into the greased pie dish, insert bay leaves and sprinkle with slivered almonds. Season with the pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining milk and egg and beat lightly. Remove mince dish from the oven and pour custard over the top, then bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Prepare the accompaniments; cook the rice, turmeric and raisins for 10 minutes and steam broccoli above.
- Remove bay leaves from the Bobotie and serve with yellow rice and broccoli.